With September bringing in Suicide Awareness Month, StableStrides would like to remind our community that there are always options for help in a moment of need. Worldwide we lose 800,000 people per year to suicide. It’s the 10th biggest cause of death and the two leading factors that contribute to suicide are isolation and feeling like a burden. Having mental health issues doesn’t make you weak, and speaking up when suicidal isn’t attention seeking, there is hope. Below is a brief list of available support options for anyone in need:
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- for the hearing & speech impaired: 1-800-799-4889
- en Espanol: 1-888-628-9454
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) HelpLine: 1-800-950-6264
- NAMI has support groups of many kinds in-person and virtual for people living with mental illness, family members of individuals experiencing mental health issues, and community members of people living with mental illness. Anyone seeking help from NAMI on a local level, check out their website here for more information on programs and support groups for you!
- Pandemic Rapid-response Optimization to Enhance Community-Resilience and Health (PROTECH): 1-888-210-6606
- PROTECH has excellent resources on pandemic-related coping strategies, giving and getting the help that works for you, self-care, and more. PROTECH provides a facts sheet on myths about suicide, signs of suicide, dos and don’ts on how to help here.
- Pike’s Peak Suicide Prevention: 719-573-7447
- A local resource for connection groups for those suffering from loss, current mental health issues, and survivors of suicide. Pike’s Peak Suicide Prevention offers countless connection groups, including family member support groups and more!
- Vets 4 Warriors: 855-838-8255
- Vets 4 Warriors is answered 24/7 by veterans.
If reaching out to someone in your close circle isn’t an option for you, don’t hesitate to reach out to any of these groups. They are here to offer compassion, guidance and support and they’re all just a call away.